Employer Terms & Conditions
All employment opportunity advertisements and recruiting activities advertised through Carleton University's Career Services and Co-operative Education must conform to Employment Standards, Ontario and Human Rights Legislation, as outlined with the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
Career Services and Co-operative Education uses the CUHire portal to advertise employment opportunities to Carleton University students and alumni and support all on-campus recruitment activities.
We reserve the right to limit or cancel an employer's recruitment activities if they are not conducive to a beneficial and positive student employment experience.
Career Services and Co-operative Education requires all employers to provide the following information in order to post a job opportunity. Failure to do so may result in the job posting not being accepted:
- name of organization with full mailing address and phone number
- full name of contact person with phone number and company email address
- an adequate description of the nature of the position being offered and the type of job (e.g., full time permanent, contract, co-op, summer, etc.)
- recruitment agencies and third party recruiters must provide the name of the client organization for which they are hiring. This information will not be disclosed on the job posting. Only genuine employment opportunities will be accepted.
- Postings for commission jobs must disclose compensation details in the posting under the salary or job description section, indicating either a one hundred percent commission, or commission plus base salary position. If a training period is required only opportunities with paid training periods will be accepted.
- independent contracting arrangements (self-employment)
- unpaid work including work involving unpaid or reduced pay for training (approved local volunteer opportunities excluded)
- work involving credit in lieu of pay
- any work which requires the purchase of a service or product, or requires a certified deposit or similar as a condition of employment
- employment contracts or franchise contracts which charge a fee (i.e. certification fee, licensing fee, equipment purchase, initial investment in a company)
- work involving pyramid-type or multi-level marketing organizations
- private tutoring arrangements
- employment that would involve the work to take place at the private residence of the employer (i.e. caregiver, tutor, landscaping, care attendant)
- entering classrooms or lecture halls during a scheduled class, tutorial or lab to promote employment opportunities and/or distribute employment materials
- using common internal and external areas on campus such as waiting areas, lobbies, alcoves, break rooms, entrances, library, tunnel space, residence lobbies, or eating areas to conduct impromptu recruiting activities
- entering residence buildings and posting/distributing employment promotional materials in mailboxes and/or under doors
- postering and/or displaying employment jobs/promotional materials in unauthorized areas and/or in authorizes areas without permission from Career Services and Co-operative Education. Career Services and Co-operative Education provides employers with recruitment services and resources to support their recruitment efforts on campus. Information on these resources are available here at https://cuhire.carleton.ca/home.htm. All employers and professional groups/associations are required to contact Career Services and Co-operative Education to discuss recruitment strategies available to them prior to visiting or engaging with Carleton students..
Career Services and Co-operative Education reserves the right to remove or refuse any employer conducting recruitment on campus or job postings where:
- non-compliance with these terms and conditions has occurred
- incorrect or misleading information has been provided
- there are founded complaints from students or university personnel regarding unethical recruitment practices
- the employment opportunity is considered by Career Development and Co-operative Education to not represent a viable work opportunity for the students
- the behaviour or conduct of an employer in their involvement with the university represents unethical recruitment conduct and/or is deemed contrary to Career Services and Co-operative Education policies and practices
- the organization is an international organization or recruitment agency without a North American contact address or representative
All submitted job postings are processed Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except for holidays. All job postings require a 24 to 48 hour posting time frame.
Career Services and Co-operative Education may use an employer's email address for the following purposes:
- update employers regarding our online job posting system, CUHire
- clarify job posting details
- inform employers of services to facilitate recruitment on campus or for the purposes of conducting labour market research
- requesting feedback regarding employment and recruiting services
- recording recruiting results in terms of Carleton University student hires
- All employers have the ability to unsubscribe from any further email communications in every message
At Carleton University, we recognize and respect the importance of privacy. Personal and contact information that we collect is kept confidential and, as such, Career Services and Co-operative Education will not disclose employer contact information recorded on our CUHire job posting system without consent. Contact or personal information obtained by Carleton University is, under no circumstances, rented or sold.
Employers who obtain the contact or personal information of Carleton students and alumni are expected to protect the privacy of those individuals and their personal information. Employers should not disclose contact or personal information of Carleton students and alumni to other parties without the proper approvals.
For further information on Carleton's commitment to protecting the privacy of its students, alumni, staff and faculty, please visit http://carleton.ca/privacy
Employers utilizing the services provided by Career Services and Co-operative Education must abide by these Terms and Conditions. Career Services and Co-operative Education reserves the right to refuse any person or organization use of this service.
Career Services and Co-operative Education Web site Disclaimer
Career Services and Co-operative Education makes every effort to ensure that the information contained in its web site and printed materials is accurate. Links from our web site to internal pages and/or external web sites are believed to be relevant and up-to-date. We do not accept responsibility for information contained on external web sites. Links on our web site should not suggest that Career Services and Co-operative Education promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, web content, products or services. Career Services and Co-operative Education reserves the right to deny or withdraw any external link. If you encounter a non-functioning internal or external link which may no longer be current, please inform our Technical Officer.